Monday, October 13, 2008

Connecting the dots

First of all, I'm excited about this blog. Thanks Sara for getting it rolling. Ramona and I just got back from my 20 year High School Reunion. Everyone said I looked exactly the same (subtext-you still look like you're in the 5th grade). We spent a couple of nights with a close high school friend and his wife. We also spent a lot of time with other members of my ward. It was interesting to see how specific conference references entered our conversation-I actually brought them up everytime-I don't mean to boast as I say that, but to give some context of what I'm trying to discuss here. An issue about kids and texting came up and I mentioned Elder Oaks talk. A discussion came up about one of our close friends who is thinking of leaving the church and how he has bad mouthed the Bishop and I mentioned something about Elder Eyring's talk relating to this. Today a discussion about poverty came up and I said something about Elder Christofferson's talk and asked if creating Zion meant only in the church or having "no poor among us" meant throughout the world. I was a little surprised that when discussing these various topics no one referenced the general conference talks (which we heard just a week ago) that related to these issues. Why weren't the dots connected? I really hope this does not sound like a self-righteous post. I don't mean it to be. I'm more interested in seeing why there seems to be a disconnect between peoples lives and the spiritual messages they hear. I think this is also on my mind because as I've been studying up on political position/stances of certain candidates for local offices here I feel there is a disconnect between what their policy stances are in relation to their spirituality. My question is then are we paying attention like we should be and applying the lessons we've been given through conference into our actual lives? Wouldn't the new lessons or insights we gain from conference serve as the "lens" through which we navigate our current lives-essentially that the principles learned would be on the forefront of our minds since conference was just a week ago? What do you think?

2 comments:

Jared said...

The natural man in all of us loves to justify, and one of the most effective ways that I've found to justify is by compartmentalizing my life.

Family is separate from church is separate from church is separate from playing soccer is separate from living in my neighborhood, etc. Where the different areas don't necessarily overlap, I tend to think they are completely separate.

For example I don't work on sundays, becuase I go to church. They necessarily overlap. But I don't feel the need to spend my down time at work catching upon reading my scriptures because there is no necessary connection. So I read blogs instead.

I think if I were to be a more Christ-centered person, then I'd be Christ-centered whether playing soccer or interacting with people on the street.

Sara said...

Great post Chris- and not self-righteous at all, but really introspective. I took a class on teachings of the living prophets at BYU and it completely changed my perspective of conference. We had to memorize the titles and basic messages of the two conferences previous to the class and it was amazing how that assignment affected my life. Suddenly, Conference was everywhere. It had sunk deep into my heart and was part of my life now, not just something I vaguely remembered. After that I tried to "master" the April conference talks before the October talks come around. I also did my personal goal-setting based on the talks that really meant a lot to me each conference time. But I've gotten away from that in the past few years, unfortunately. Just laziness- nothing I can't fix. This time though, I had such powerful experiences with so many of the talks that I was inspired again to go back to my goal-setting. Also, Dan and I sat down and chose all the talks we went to make sure we do Family Home Evening lessons on before April. I feel like we are raring to go- so excited.

Some people will never connect the dots- I agree with Jared- but we can. WE CAN- and we can help our families to do the same. We can open our hearts to Conference again and again so that we are not only changed by those messages, but renewed and strengthened. We can help one another connect the dots.